Saturday, December 12, 2009

more fire . . .

Big week of progress for me. Yesterday I was able to run 5K on the 'mill, before the Admiral and I hosted our company Christmas party. SO MUCH FUN to be with my fellow team members + I managed not to overdo it on the delicious food and wine.

Today after riding, I still felt great and thought about the fact that Coach Rick's plan calls for a 7 miler today. I hopped on the 'mill today with a flexible but optimistic stance and was able to make it happen! I'm a bit sore now, but really ecstatic to be really running again (albeit slowly). The sheer desire to run and run well that I felt today reminds me of Toby Tanser's book about training in the Rift Valley with the elite Kenyan runners. What do they have that brings them to the doorstep of really great running? The Good Lord knows it's not money, since the vast majority of them grew up very poor. One told him, it's simple. More fire.

I am really thrilled because I don't want to be a drag on the team, and I think with further judicious training I can get back on track in the next couple of weeks. Really looking forward to some x-c skiing in ASAP, too!

Could be time for an infusion of new tunes so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Miles logged: 7.2 (+ 3.2 yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment